What I hate most about rural living
a***@unlisted.com
2005-12-04 10:19:18 UTC
What I hate most about rural living is gun-deer hunting season.

I live in the country on a farm. I moved to the country about 10
years ago, after being in the city far too long. I love the country,
but I do not hunt. Never have, never will.I dont judge people for
hunting, but killing animals is not my idea of fun, and I can not
stand eating venison anyhow. So, if people want to hunt deer, fine,
as long as they stay off my property, which I have clearly posted.
For me, it's a very inconvenient time of year, because I have to move
all my livestock right up by the buildings, which many years costs me
quite a bit extra hay, since I can not let my animals graze. (This
year it dont matter because of the snow cover).

Yesterday deer season started. As soon as it got light in the morning
until dark, it sounded like World War Three, and lasted all day long.
I would expect to hear some shots every so often, but continuous
shooting just dont seem right. What the hell are they shooting at?
There are not that many deer out there, and even if there was, they
would have to be terrible shots if they would have to plug the deer
full of lead for an hour straight.

Can someone familiar with hunting please explain. Are they just
shooting to waste shells or for fun? That's all I can figure.

All I know, just like every year since I moved to the country, I'll be
very glad when deer season is over and things return to peace and
quiet. I feel like I am in a war zone, and dont like it at all. All
I do know, if I knew who these hunters were, and one of them ever told
me my cig smoking bothered them, I'd love to tell them just how much
their shooting bothers me. The first weekend is the worst, (this
weekend) so I spent the whole day indoors watching tv, since I dont
feel safe outdoors... Then I constantly worry about my livestock the
whole day, because several people have lost catle and horses around
here during deer season in past years. I am now doing chores during
the night, because that seems to be the only safe time to be outside,
and it's damn cold out there in the dark.

If I could afford it, I think I'd put a 20 foot concrete wall around
my entire farm....

I sure hope this ends soon !!!
r***@inter.invalid
2005-12-04 10:51:13 UTC
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 04:19:18 -0600, ***@unlisted.com wrote:

|>What I hate most about rural living is gun-deer hunting season.
|>
|>I live in the country on a farm. I moved to the country about 10
|>years ago, after being in the city far too long. I love the country,
|>but I do not hunt. Never have, never will.I dont judge people for
|>hunting, but killing animals is not my idea of fun, and I can not
|>stand eating venison anyhow. So, if people want to hunt deer, fine,
|>as long as they stay off my property, which I have clearly posted.
|>For me, it's a very inconvenient time of year, because I have to move
|>all my livestock right up by the buildings, which many years costs me
|>quite a bit extra hay, since I can not let my animals graze. (This
|>year it dont matter because of the snow cover).
|>
|>Yesterday deer season started. As soon as it got light in the morning
|>until dark, it sounded like World War Three, and lasted all day long.
|>I would expect to hear some shots every so often, but continuous
|>shooting just dont seem right. What the hell are they shooting at?
|>There are not that many deer out there, and even if there was, they
|>would have to be terrible shots if they would have to plug the deer
|>full of lead for an hour straight.
|>
|>Can someone familiar with hunting please explain. Are they just
|>shooting to waste shells or for fun? That's all I can figure.
|>
|>All I know, just like every year since I moved to the country, I'll be
|>very glad when deer season is over and things return to peace and
|>quiet. I feel like I am in a war zone, and dont like it at all. All
|>I do know, if I knew who these hunters were, and one of them ever told
|>me my cig smoking bothered them, I'd love to tell them just how much
|>their shooting bothers me. The first weekend is the worst, (this
|>weekend) so I spent the whole day indoors watching tv, since I dont
|>feel safe outdoors... Then I constantly worry about my livestock the
|>whole day, because several people have lost catle and horses around
|>here during deer season in past years. I am now doing chores during
|>the night, because that seems to be the only safe time to be outside,
|>and it's damn cold out there in the dark.
|>
|>If I could afford it, I think I'd put a 20 foot concrete wall around
|>my entire farm....
|>
|>I sure hope this ends soon !!!

I don't hunt either, but am into handguns probably because all my life
in Canada they were always taboo till recently......

I am mostly into self defense, no hunting offence with a long gun....my
moto on that is [ If you can't hit it with a handgun, you got no business
shooting it at all.]

Don't get me wrong though If it weren't for the hunters who get the
butchery done by commercial places or links to them, I would not be eating,
since I live in a city. A lot of the meat comes from hunters, most of it I might
figure, except for farm kills.

Since dozens of shooting ranges all over Canada and a lot of USA, have
been shut down for the mass confiscation, these hunters were merely sighting in
their rifles after a long duration since they last used one, and that can take
awhile.

Cheers

Bob
Triad Productions-Fantalla(c)~EZine~ParaNovel
National Association of Assault Research
WWWeb>> http://boblacasse.topcities.com
Peter Huebner
2005-12-04 11:19:38 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, ***@inter.invalid
says...
Post by r***@inter.invalid
Since dozens of shooting ranges all over Canada and a lot of USA, have
been shut down for the mass confiscation, these hunters were merely sighting in
their rifles after a long duration since they last used one, and that can take
awhile.
Huh, They'd have to be fuckwits if that were the case. Takes me about 3 shots
to sight in a rifle AND test that I got it right. And I sure would do it
*before* going deerstalking (well, I go shooting wild pigs since we don't have
deer in this area), instead of scaring my prey away. Ye gods.

-P.
a***@unlisted.com
2005-12-04 13:41:09 UTC
Post by Peter Huebner
says...
Post by r***@inter.invalid
Since dozens of shooting ranges all over Canada and a lot of USA, have
been shut down for the mass confiscation, these hunters were merely sighting in
their rifles after a long duration since they last used one, and that can take
awhile.
Huh, They'd have to be fuckwits if that were the case. Takes me about 3 shots
to sight in a rifle AND test that I got it right. And I sure would do it
*before* going deerstalking (well, I go shooting wild pigs since we don't have
deer in this area), instead of scaring my prey away. Ye gods.
-P.
I agree with what you said. Like I said, I do not hunt, but I do have
a 22 rifle, and have had to use it a few times on coons and possums
that tend to get out of control and do damage. I really hate to shoot
any animals, but I do it if I must. I have done little shooting in my
life, yet, I can aim and get those coons or whatever right in the
head. When I got the rifle, I put one of those paper targets on a
dead tree and fired a few dozen shots, (and most of them were just for
fun). I found the gun was accurate and thats about all I have ever
done other than use it on obnoxious critters. So, I agree, with what
you said. They should get their guns aimed before they go hunting.
Dad
2005-12-04 15:44:53 UTC
snip
Post by a***@unlisted.com
-P.
I agree with what you said. Like I said, I do not hunt, but I do have
a 22 rifle, and have had to use it a few times on coons and possums
that tend to get out of control and do damage.
You would shoot them and just leave them lay? How cruel, coward.
Post by a***@unlisted.com
I really hate to shoot
any animals, but I do it if I must. I have done little shooting in my
life, yet, I can aim and get those coons or whatever right in the
head. When I got the rifle, I put one of those paper targets on a
dead tree and fired a few dozen shots, (and most of them were just for
fun). I found the gun was accurate and thats about all I have ever
done other than use it on obnoxious critters.
As an obnoxious critter doesn't that scare you that someone else may be
doing that with you?
Hortiguese
2005-12-04 22:08:36 UTC
Post by r***@inter.invalid
I don't hunt either, but am into handguns probably because all my life
in Canada they were always taboo till recently......
So you're saying that Canada's gun laws are more liberal than they were
before the Gun Registry you complain so much about all the time.
ös.net
2005-12-05 14:38:14 UTC
Post by Hortiguese
Post by r***@inter.invalid
I don't hunt either, but am into handguns probably because all my life
in Canada they were always taboo till recently......
So you're saying that Canada's gun laws are more liberal than they were
before the Gun Registry you complain so much about all the time.
He's saying he didn't know what the laws were before 1995 or 1998, or
2001 or whenever the firearms act didn't come into effect.

The fact is that for the law abiding, handgun ownership has become
more restrictive.
Not to mention that those folks who legally bought certain handguns
and registered them between 1995 and 1998 are going to get them
confiscated with out compensation according to a letter sent to them
by the Canadian Firearms Center.
Once again showing that gun registration leads to gun confiscation.

take the ö out of ***@teluös.net to email me
Pete Stephenson
2005-12-04 11:11:38 UTC
Post by a***@unlisted.com
For me, it's a very inconvenient time of year, because I have to move
all my livestock right up by the buildings, which many years costs me
quite a bit extra hay, since I can not let my animals graze.
This may sound really silly, but have you considered getting some sort
of non-toxic bright orange spray paint and painting your animals for the
duration of hunting season? I'm sure they have some sort of non-toxic
paint or dye for animals that would be safe, and could be washed off
after the season.

It's possible that a hunter may inadvertently come onto your property,
or see one of your animals and take a shot at it. It would be
irresponsible, yes, but some people do get caught up in the heat of the
moment. Making it /very/ obvious -- by painting your animals orange --
that these animals are not to be hunted would hopefully prevent such an
event.

I'm not a hunter, but I realize that farmers, property owners, and
hunters must learn to get along with each other. Hostility between them
is a bad thing. If you have a bad experience with hunters, please
understand that they're not all like that, and certainly do not
represent the majority of responsible hunters and sportsmen and women.

Hope everything goes well for you and your farm this hunting season.

Cheers!
--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com
a***@unlisted.com
2005-12-04 13:32:25 UTC
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 03:11:38 -0800, Pete Stephenson
Post by Pete Stephenson
Post by a***@unlisted.com
[...]
As much as I hate the hunting, I do not argue with the hunters, so I
guess you could say I get along. However, if I was to catch them on
my property, I would have a talk with them. I do have signs, but cant
put one every ten feet, if you know what I mean. I also agree there
are those that are responsible, in fact several of my friends hunt,
except they are not in this area, but they are responsible. At the
same time, there are the assholes and those that are far too drunk to
be holding a gun.

I'd like to find some sort of orange stuff to paint on my animals.
Anyone have any suggestions? I was trying to at least find blaze
orange halters for the horses, but could not find them. I really dont
like leaving halters on them anyhow, but I will during hunting season.
I have way too many of them stuffed in the barn right now, and they
are being pretty obnoxious in there.

PS. One year I took orange surveyers tape and tied it to horses
halters but it dont stay on more than a day.

Like I said, I'll be glad when it's over. I find this very stressful.
Bill
2005-12-04 14:46:39 UTC
Around here, you can't buy *any* orange clothes after hunting season starts,
because all the stores are sold out. And the stores think people only wear
orange for hunting! Well they also need orange for construction work, and
this is a year round thing.

I have had luck going to big city stores and finding orange shirts during
hunting season. Also safety equipment stores (hard hats, first aid, etc.)
always have lots of orange clothes in stock.

So far as all the shooting on the first day, many people sight in their
rifles. Others target practice. And others may be learning, so are
practicing quite a bit. My friends all know that the noise bothers people,
so they will do their practicing way out away from anyone and do so in front
of a hill or gravel pile.
Peter Huebner
2005-12-05 02:28:57 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, anoldfart2
@unlisted.com says...
Post by a***@unlisted.com
I'd like to find some sort of orange stuff to paint on my animals.
Anyone have any suggestions? I
Yupp. There's stuff called 'tail paint' - it's what the dairy farmers use to
see if their cows are in season so they can get them artificial insemination.
You can get that in all kinds of colours, it's thick stuff that shows up well
and doesn't harm the animal. A nice bit of orange cross hatching on your horses
might just do the trick ;-)

-Peter
Doug Miller
2005-12-04 14:33:14 UTC
Post by Pete Stephenson
This may sound really silly, but have you considered getting some sort
of non-toxic bright orange spray paint and painting your animals for the
duration of hunting season? I'm sure they have some sort of non-toxic
paint or dye for animals that would be safe, and could be washed off
after the season.
Well, they tell the story about the farmer who was concerned about his
livestock being shot by careless hunters, so he painted on the side of each
one: "Cow", "Horse", "Pig", etc.

And somebody shot his tractor...
--
Regards,

a***@unlisted.com
2005-12-04 16:41:38 UTC
Post by Doug Miller
Post by Pete Stephenson
This may sound really silly, but have you considered getting some sort
of non-toxic bright orange spray paint and painting your animals for the
duration of hunting season? I'm sure they have some sort of non-toxic
paint or dye for animals that would be safe, and could be washed off
after the season.
Well, they tell the story about the farmer who was concerned about his
livestock being shot by careless hunters, so he painted on the side of each
one: "Cow", "Horse", "Pig", etc.
And somebody shot his tractor...
Was it a John Deere ?
It's Deer (deere) hunting season :)
penultimate
2005-12-04 20:41:46 UTC
The only thing worse than a pun is someone that feels an obligation to
explain one.

Like most that have read your original post, I believe you either have
a pea under your mattress or are making the whole thing up.

Only under rare atmospheric conditions combined with geography that
channels the sound does the sound of a rifle shot carry more than a
mile or so. Northern Iowa is not noted for its deep, hard-rock canyons
downwhich the sound of a gunshot might echo for some considerable
distance. And it is doubtful that you would hear the sound of a rifle
shot from indoors if its range was more than 1/2 mile. So one may
reasonably assume that that the continuous barrage of fire you are
referring to took its origin in the surrounding 400 to 1800 acres.
Note that a square mile is 640 acres. And, quite frankly, not that
many hunters fit on 400 to 1800 acres, especially if the area is
farmland with typically 75 to 90% of the acreage under cultivation.
Although I can only guess, the parts of Iowa I have seen are certainly
at the 90% cultivation level. Further, typical farmland whitetail
population densities are well under ten deer (of both sexes and all
ages) per square mile with a density of 25 animals or so being
symptomatic of serious deer overpopulation. In heavily cultivated
zones it is rare for deer density to get above ten animals because the
farmers demand and receive year round depredation permits at about this
level. Very few farmers willingly to feed more than a few deer.

If we go with 10 per square mile, one could reasonably guess that 7 to
30 deer live within "earshot" of your house. Roughly 1/3 would be
fawns and unlikely to be shot at even in an either sex hunting area.
It would similarly be rare for hunting to take more than 1/3 of the
population and in most states a significant portion of the hunting take
is now via archery. So that puts an outside boundary on the number of
shots that are likely to be audible from your "farm" ACROSS THE ENTIRE
SPAN OF THE HUNTING SEASON.

A few hunters that can not shoot let loose with a barrage when provided
a shot. But most successful hunters make two shots maximum. So, if
you are telling the truth, I suspect you at most heard four or five
shots in the hour after daylight, a few scattered shots across the day,
and another three or four shots in the hour before dark - maybe a dozen
rounds maximum across opening day. This level of fire would represent
that of the six to a dozen competent hunters that might be expected,
maximum, to be hunting within "earshot" and shoot at a deer on opening
day if you live in an area that would really, really, draw hunters. If
you throw in an idiot or two that empties their rifle, then maybe you
heard 20 rounds across the entirety of opening day. If that is your
idea of being in a war zone, then I opine you have never been near one.

You could have heard more shooting. If so, then I suppose some fool
might have been target shooting on opening day. But most hunters are
smarter than that. However, I can well imagine some PETA person
discharging a semiauto rifle repeatedly just to "frighten" the deer
away from possible hunters.

As to "doing your chores at night", I would point out two comforting
thoughts:

1. A high powered rifle shot that might hit you because it was
irresponsibly launched into the air is statistically more likely to
come from beyond the range of hearing. So, if I were you I would worry
more about the shots I could not hear than the ones I could.

2. A high powered rifle shot fired from with hearing range will easily
penetrate the walls of an ordinarily constructed residence. So, hiding
indoors during the day is unlikely to contribute much, if anything, to
your safety. If you want to be really, really, safe hiding in your
living room, I suggest a 6' tall ring of sandbags around your sofa.

So, as is commonly said it a combat zone, "You never hear the one that
gets you." If I were you, I would be most frightened by the sound of
silence. And I might worry about one of your overzealous neighbors
taking a pot shot at that intruder sneaking around your barn at night!

Sleep tight.
penultimate
2005-12-04 20:48:35 UTC
Now, lots of shooting at waterfoul I might believe.
penultimate
2005-12-04 21:34:01 UTC
What a hoot!

I checked Iowa game regulations and December 3 is the start of deer
season alright.

But it is restricted to muzzle loaders, qualifying handguns, and
shotguns shooting slugs!

All have relatively restricted ranges and certainly we don't expect a
lot of rapid fire from the muzzle loaders! But a lot higher percentage
are semi-auto or pump shotguns (capable of more rapid fire) and
handguns and their relatively limited range and effectiveness might
mean more rounds fired per kill. Still, the sound of handguns,
shotguns, and muzzle loaders does not carry nearly as far as that of a
high-power rifle. So our poster's claims seem even less credible.
Offbreed
2005-12-05 02:53:11 UTC
Post by penultimate
You could have heard more shooting. If so, then I suppose some fool
might have been target shooting on opening day. But most hunters are
smarter than that. However, I can well imagine some PETA person
discharging a semiauto rifle repeatedly just to "frighten" the deer
away from possible hunters.
That is a possibility I had not considered.

Sounds pretty likely, if the shots were spaced out evenly.
Louis Boyd
2005-12-04 18:21:36 UTC
Post by Doug Miller
Post by Pete Stephenson
This may sound really silly, but have you considered getting some sort
of non-toxic bright orange spray paint and painting your animals for the
duration of hunting season? I'm sure they have some sort of non-toxic
paint or dye for animals that would be safe, and could be washed off
after the season.
Well, they tell the story about the farmer who was concerned about his
livestock being shot by careless hunters, so he painted on the side of each
one: "Cow", "Horse", "Pig", etc.
And somebody shot his tractor...
What did he expect? It said John Deere on the side.

(someone had to bite)
zxcvbob
2005-12-04 18:42:56 UTC
Post by Doug Miller
Post by Pete Stephenson
This may sound really silly, but have you considered getting some sort
of non-toxic bright orange spray paint and painting your animals for the
duration of hunting season? I'm sure they have some sort of non-toxic
paint or dye for animals that would be safe, and could be washed off
after the season.
Well, they tell the story about the farmer who was concerned about his
livestock being shot by careless hunters, so he painted on the side of each
one: "Cow", "Horse", "Pig", etc.
And somebody shot his tractor...
Hey! It said "Deere" on the side of it!

Defensively,
Bob
YouKidding?
2005-12-05 05:10:17 UTC
Post by Doug Miller
Post by Pete Stephenson
This may sound really silly, but have you considered getting some sort
of non-toxic bright orange spray paint and painting your animals for the
duration of hunting season? I'm sure they have some sort of non-toxic
paint or dye for animals that would be safe, and could be washed off
after the season.
Well, they tell the story about the farmer who was concerned about his
livestock being shot by careless hunters, so he painted on the side of each
one: "Cow", "Horse", "Pig", etc.
And somebody shot his tractor...
Or the guy in VT, recently shot by hunters while sitting in his tractor
in the middle of a field. That tractor sure looked like a buck.

YK
SaPeIsMa
2005-12-05 15:24:31 UTC
Post by YouKidding?
Post by Doug Miller
Post by Pete Stephenson
This may sound really silly, but have you considered getting some sort
of non-toxic bright orange spray paint and painting your animals for the
duration of hunting season? I'm sure they have some sort of non-toxic
paint or dye for animals that would be safe, and could be washed off
after the season.
Well, they tell the story about the farmer who was concerned about his
livestock being shot by careless hunters, so he painted on the side of each
one: "Cow", "Horse", "Pig", etc.
And somebody shot his tractor...
Or the guy in VT, recently shot by hunters while sitting in his tractor
in the middle of a field. That tractor sure looked like a buck.
Are you implying that the farmer was "abusing" his bu.. er tractor ?
YK
Scout
2005-12-04 13:29:38 UTC
Post by a***@unlisted.com
[...]
Personally this all sounds like an urban anti-gunner relating fairy tails
about what occurs during hunting season. I've lived in several hunting areas
that were extensively hunted and I've never even come close to what he is
suggesting is a common occurrence where he lives.

One question, WHERE exactly do you live where this is going on?
a***@unlisted.com
2005-12-04 13:54:46 UTC
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 08:29:38 -0500, "Scout"
Post by Scout
Post by a***@unlisted.com
[...]
Well, if you read the other posts I just made, you will note that I
own a rifle. I am not anti gun. In fact I occasionally like to shoot
cans and stuff in the summer, just for fun. I just dont hunt. I got
the gun for troublesome critters, and that happened after a coyote was
spotted near my barn. I never shot one of them though, but I wanted a
gun on hand for things like that.

As for location, I am in northern Iowa, and I am not exaggerating.
It sounded like a war zone yesterday.
The good news, it tends to be worse the first day of the season, and
that's over (yesterday). I think the hunters go bonkers on the first
day and calm down a little after that. I hope it will calm down
today.

Time to go put more of my animals back in the barn. I let them out
over night, the horses were getting into too many fights in there from
being confined. They tend to get stressed from all the shooting too.
Scout
2005-12-04 14:43:07 UTC
Post by Scout
Post by a***@unlisted.com
[...]
Strange, first time I've ever heard of such a thing other than from someone
making it up. Maybe it's a matter of definitions....so tell me what does a
"warzone" sound like? How many shots in an hour does it take?
Post by a***@unlisted.com
The good news, it tends to be worse the first day of the season, and
that's over (yesterday). I think the hunters go bonkers on the first
day and calm down a little after that. I hope it will calm down
today.
Maybe, but I've had upwards of 50 hunters in my immediate area and I've
never heard anything like what you're describing. Maybe you have a different
idea of a "warzone" than I do.
a***@unlisted.com
2005-12-04 16:45:24 UTC
Post by a***@unlisted.com
Time to go put more of my animals back in the barn. I let them out
over night, the horses were getting into too many fights in there from
being confined. They tend to get stressed from all the shooting too.
Early in the morning it was almost continuous shooting
I'd estimate at least 10 shots a minute, sometimes more.
It did calm down a little later in the day, but I still heard at least
5 shots every 15 min.
Larry Caldwell
2005-12-04 18:42:01 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, anoldfart2
@unlisted.com (***@unlisted.com) says...
Post by a***@unlisted.com
Early in the morning it was almost continuous shooting
I'd estimate at least 10 shots a minute, sometimes more.
It did calm down a little later in the day, but I still heard at least
5 shots every 15 min.
Sounds more like duck hunting season.
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
Scout
2005-12-04 21:39:32 UTC
Post by a***@unlisted.com
Time to go put more of my animals back in the barn. I let them out
over night, the horses were getting into too many fights in there from
being confined. They tend to get stressed from all the shooting too.
Early in the morning it was almost continuous shooting
I'd estimate at least 10 shots a minute, sometimes more.
So let's see....figure 1 shot every 5 minutes from a crazed hunter....so
within his immediate area he's saying that he's got 50 crazed hunters just
blasting away for hours on end. I find this highly improbable. There just
isn't that much to shoot at in the woods.

Sounds more like you have a gun range with people target shooting than
hunting.

Either that or you're making stuff up.
I think you have a gun range, not hunters.
Shiver
2005-12-04 22:06:19 UTC
Post by Scout
I think you have a gun range, not hunters.
I wouldn't be so hasty as to jump to that conclusion.

If there was a gun range why would he not hear shots on a daily basis.

As a kid in Northern Ontario I went out hunting with a friend on the
first day of hunting season.

I can still remember walking out of the city trying to hitchike a ride.

Me with a Mossberg 410, my friend with a 3030 winchester.

Wouldn't be able to do that in this day and age.. but I digress.

Hours later when we were in hunting country we could hear shots all day
long, and it was a scary feeling for both of us.

And in our neck of the woods it seemed that every few years someone got
shot by a hunter who had buck fever and was positive that they were
shooting at a deer of moose.

An acquaintence of our family was shot in such a manner from a distance
of ten feet.

The person was positive it was a moose.......

Ten feet away and he couldn't tell the difference.

I could see some rural living American feeling like their back forty
was a shooting gallery on the first day of hunting season..

I could see that very easily.
Scout
2005-12-04 22:16:08 UTC
Post by Shiver
Post by Scout
I think you have a gun range, not hunters.
I wouldn't be so hasty as to jump to that conclusion.
If there was a gun range why would he not hear shots on a daily basis.
Perhaps it's a seasonal thing. After all, I know a lot of hunters tend to go
to the range at the start of the season to check their sights and practice
their aim.
Post by Shiver
As a kid in Northern Ontario I went out hunting with a friend on the
first day of hunting season.
I can still remember walking out of the city trying to hitchike a ride.
Me with a Mossberg 410, my friend with a 3030 winchester.
Wouldn't be able to do that in this day and age.. but I digress.
Hours later when we were in hunting country we could hear shots all day
long, and it was a scary feeling for both of us.
Somehow I doubt that you heard 10 rounds a minute for hours. Indeed I
suspect you may have heard 10 rounds an hour on the average at best.
Post by Shiver
And in our neck of the woods it seemed that every few years someone got
shot by a hunter who had buck fever and was positive that they were
shooting at a deer of moose.
Yep, there is always a few idiots that don't ID their target, but what's
that got to do with his claims.
Post by Shiver
An acquaintence of our family was shot in such a manner from a distance
of ten feet.
The person was positive it was a moose.......
Ten feet away and he couldn't tell the difference.
Sounds more like murder to me.
Post by Shiver
I could see some rural living American feeling like their back forty
was a shooting gallery on the first day of hunting season..
I could see that very easily.
So IOW, you don't really know....you are just guessing.

Well I live in the country, have for much of my life, and I know what
ACTUALLY occurs. Further the worst hunters I know of are those idiots from
the city that think that hunting is like going to the range with deer
popping out every 30 seconds.
Doug Miller
2005-12-05 02:59:08 UTC
Post by Scout
Post by Shiver
Post by Scout
I think you have a gun range, not hunters.
I wouldn't be so hasty as to jump to that conclusion.
If there was a gun range why would he not hear shots on a daily basis.
Perhaps it's a seasonal thing. After all, I know a lot of hunters tend to go
to the range at the start of the season to check their sights and practice
their aim.
They do that on _opening_day_ ??? Yeah, right.

All the hunters _I_ know get that taken care of _before_ the season opens.
Post by Scout
Post by Shiver
As a kid in Northern Ontario I went out hunting with a friend on the
first day of hunting season.
I can still remember walking out of the city trying to hitchike a ride.
Me with a Mossberg 410, my friend with a 3030 winchester.
Wouldn't be able to do that in this day and age.. but I digress.
Hours later when we were in hunting country we could hear shots all day
long, and it was a scary feeling for both of us.
Somehow I doubt that you heard 10 rounds a minute for hours. Indeed I
suspect you may have heard 10 rounds an hour on the average at best.
Somehow I suspect you haven't spent much time in the woods during hunting
season. Somehow I suspect you don't actually know too many hunters, either.
Post by Scout
Post by Shiver
And in our neck of the woods it seemed that every few years someone got
shot by a hunter who had buck fever and was positive that they were
shooting at a deer of moose.
Yep, there is always a few idiots that don't ID their target, but what's
that got to do with his claims.
Lots, actually: idiots in the woods who don't ID their targets shoot at a lot
of things that aren't deer, and consequently fire a lot of rounds. It's really
not that complicated, if you think about it a bit.
--
Regards,

Scout
2005-12-05 10:22:50 UTC
Post by Doug Miller
Post by Scout
Post by Shiver
Post by Scout
I think you have a gun range, not hunters.
I wouldn't be so hasty as to jump to that conclusion.
If there was a gun range why would he not hear shots on a daily basis.
Perhaps it's a seasonal thing. After all, I know a lot of hunters tend to go
to the range at the start of the season to check their sights and practice
their aim.
They do that on _opening_day_ ??? Yeah, right.
Maybe, but most hunters aren't out there firing 10 rounds a minute for hours
on end either.
Dave Hinz
2005-12-05 15:27:24 UTC
Post by Scout
Post by Doug Miller
They do that on _opening_day_ ??? Yeah, right.
Maybe, but most hunters aren't out there firing 10 rounds a minute for hours
on end either.
Well, I was sighting in on opening day, yes. It's my land, it's my
range, and I'll shoot whenever I damn well feel like it. If the whiny
troll doesn't like it, the whiny troll can move back to town where the
gunshots are of an entirely different nature.
Larry Caldwell
2005-12-05 17:26:06 UTC
Post by Shiver
As a kid in Northern Ontario I went out hunting with a friend on the
first day of hunting season.
I can still remember walking out of the city trying to hitchike a ride.
Me with a Mossberg 410, my friend with a 3030 winchester.
Wouldn't be able to do that in this day and age.. but I digress.
Yeah. I remember jump shooting ducks for miles down Palmer Creek,
which ran through my parents' farm. It was pretty common to get 10
miles downstream in a day. My hunting buddy and I would stumble onto a
county road after dusk, mud to our armpits and usually dripping wet,
grasping our shotguns, and stick out our thumbs. The first pickup by
would give us a ride. It was always a pickup, because they wouldn't
let us ride in front. :) It was a simpler time.
Post by Shiver
And in our neck of the woods it seemed that every few years someone got
shot by a hunter who had buck fever and was positive that they were
shooting at a deer of moose.
An acquaintence of our family was shot in such a manner from a distance
of ten feet.
The person was positive it was a moose.......
Ten feet away and he couldn't tell the difference.
I could see some rural living American feeling like their back forty
was a shooting gallery on the first day of hunting season..
I once had a hole shot in my living room while I was sitting in it. I
have an unfortunate personality defect. Being shot at enrages me. I
knew where the bozos were parked, so I tore out of there and took a set
of side cutters to their valve stems. Someone later pointed out that I
could have just unscrewed the valves, but I was enraged and not
thinking straight. I just wanted them to stay put until the sheriff
got there, and knew it could be an hour or two.
Farm1
2005-12-06 02:01:35 UTC
Post by Larry Caldwell
I once had a hole shot in my living room while I was sitting in it. I
have an unfortunate personality defect.
That is simply appalling! Being enraged sounds like a perfectly reasonable
reaction to me.

Was this where you live now? What happened to the Bozos who did this?
Houston
2005-12-06 06:08:00 UTC
Wonder what would happen if you took a bunch of folks who were ready to
call each other liars and lunatics at the drop of a hat, and got their
backs up at the mention of something that they ain't never seen, by
gawd, arm them and put them all in the same patch of woods on the first
day of hunting season? Talk about annoying...but I bet it wouldn't last
long.
Elmo
2005-12-07 12:58:21 UTC
Post by Houston
Wonder what would happen if you took a bunch of folks who were ready to
call each other liars and lunatics at the drop of a hat, and got their
backs up at the mention of something that they ain't never seen, by
gawd, arm them and put them all in the same patch of woods on the first
day of hunting season? Talk about annoying...but I bet it wouldn't last
long.
Until you got to the part about arming them, I thought you were talking about
Usenet.
--
"It used to just be CIA agents with ear-pieces who walked round
with preoccupied, faraway expressions, and consequently regarded
Lynne Truss
Houston
2005-12-07 21:34:16 UTC

You got it, Elmo.
Larry Caldwell
2005-12-07 14:33:18 UTC
Post by Farm1
Was this where you live now? What happened to the Bozos who did this?
I sold that place about 11 years ago. I got a conviction for criminal
trespass on all the bozos, an endangering conviction on the bozo who
actually did the shooting, and he had to hire a contractor to fix my
house.
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
Farm1
2005-12-07 23:29:09 UTC
Post by Larry Caldwell
Post by Farm1
Was this where you live now? What happened to the Bozos who did this?
I sold that place about 11 years ago. I got a conviction for criminal
trespass on all the bozos, an endangering conviction on the bozo who
actually did the shooting, and he had to hire a contractor to fix my
house.
Well done Larry! Nice to hear that the concentration of the law enforcers
was on the real offenders and not how damage might have somehow happened to
the Bozos vehicle. Here, I'm not so sure that the cops would have been so
sensible and let that lie.

Doug Miller
2005-12-05 02:54:11 UTC
Post by Scout
Maybe, but I've had upwards of 50 hunters in my immediate area and I've
never heard anything like what you're describing. Maybe you have a different
idea of a "warzone" than I do.
Or perhaps more responsible hunters. I *have* heard what the OP describes.
--
Regards,

Farm1
2005-12-05 02:55:40 UTC
Post by Scout
Post by a***@unlisted.com
As for location, I am in northern Iowa, and I am not exaggerating.
It sounded like a war zone yesterday.
Strange, first time I've ever heard of such a thing other than from someone
making it up.
Strange, but Doug Miller who admits to being a hunter and who, as all
regulars here know, likes his guns and hunting has also mentioned the same
problem about the first day of the hunting season. Is Doug too telling
fairy tales or making things up?
Scout
2005-12-05 10:22:05 UTC
Post by a***@unlisted.com
Post by Scout
making it up.
Strange, but Doug Miller who admits to being a hunter and who, as all
regulars here know, likes his guns and hunting has also mentioned the same
problem about the first day of the hunting season. Is Doug too telling
fairy tales or making things up?
Can't say. I will simply state that neither I nor anyone I know directly can
support his observation with direct knowledge. It is not what occurs around
here, or in some 11 other states of which I have direct or 2nd hand reliable
knowledge. Can't say it doesn't happen, but it seems most unlikely.
Steve IA
2005-12-04 20:26:03 UTC
Post by a***@unlisted.com
As for location, I am in northern Iowa, and I am not exaggerating.
It sounded like a war zone yesterday.
The good news, it tends to be worse the first day of the season, and
that's over (yesterday). I think the hunters go bonkers on the first
day and calm down a little after that. I hope it will calm down
today.
I'll back up your story from here in Southiowa. War zone might be
stretch but there's lead a-flying. Honestly, though, some of the
shooting is /sightin'in/ at road signs and fence posts.

Steve
41N
Doug Miller
2005-12-04 14:39:33 UTC
Post by Scout
Personally this all sounds like an urban anti-gunner relating fairy tails
about what occurs during hunting season. I've lived in several hunting areas
that were extensively hunted and I've never even come close to what he is
suggesting is a common occurrence where he lives.
One question, WHERE exactly do you live where this is going on?
I believe the OP. I'm a deer hunter myself, have been for twenty years, and
I've observed this myself quite frequently (central and southern Indiana).
First light on opening morning, the shooting starts. There are a *lot* of
idiots out there who shoot at any deer they can see, whether they have a
realistic chance of killing it or not -- and plenty more who shoot at noises.
The last day of the season is sometimes even worse, with guys who haven't
filled their tags yet becoming ever more desperate as the season draws nearer
and nearer to its end.

When I hunt public land, I'm dressed in orange head to toe. And I no longer
hunt public land on either the first day of the season, or the last.
--
Regards,

a***@unlisted.com
2005-12-04 17:03:43 UTC
Post by Doug Miller
Post by Scout
[...]
Maybe this is a midwest thing more than other areas.
Yes, the last day does get rather fired up again, by then I am more
used to it though, and I am glad its soon over.
What you said is sort of what I thought they were doing, basically
shooting at anything. I noticed that the first day is when these
seems to be the most accidents too. I did not hear of any in Iowa
yet, but I'm sure I will. Wisconsin started their hunting about 2
weeks ago, and I get their news. First day there were 4 or 5 people
shot, and thats probably just that part of the state where I get the
news from. If I did hunt, I too would avoid the first and last days.
From what I observe, people have a beter chance of getting a deer and
less chance of getting shot on weekdays than the weekends. If I did
hunt, I thik I'd use a day or two of my sick days from work.

Considering my horses were stressed yesterday from all the shooting, I
would think every deer headed away, and not many were shot. I'd be
interested to see some statistics that show what days more deer are
shot. I have a feeling that even though there were more hunters
yesterday, they probably got less. I wonder if any state does post
records like that?

When does hunting start in Indiana?
Doug Miller
2005-12-05 02:52:29 UTC
Post by a***@unlisted.com
When does hunting start in Indiana?
Our general firearm season begins the first Saturday after November 11, and
ends fifteen days later.
--
Regards,

Ulysses
2005-12-07 17:16:40 UTC
Post by Doug Miller
Post by Scout
[...]
At least now I know what all the shooting was around here a few days ago.
The funny thing is that I have not seen so much as a deer track since last
winter. There simply are no deer around here this year. But lots of
shooting. Not quite what I would call a "war zone" but since the fire
department banned target shooting in my area after numerous fires were
started by careless shooters and Smokey The Bear says fire danger is High
right now I'd have to say it was a lot higher than average.

So, the only thing I can figure is that the "hunters" are shooting at empty
beer cans.

So as far as I can tell the number of fires started by careless shooting is
about equal to the number started by offroad vehicles. I realize this is a
little off-topic but I am wondering if there are no deer and it is illegal
to in the area what, besides alcohol, is going through the minds of these
shooters? Is there anyone here who goes driving out to the "middle of
nowhere" and starts shooting in all directions without bothering to find out
that just over the ridge there are dozens of homes and doesn't know about
shooting regulations? Are these people so drunk they don't care if they hit
a house or person?

Just for the record I have several guns and have nothing against shooting
responsibly and I'm planning on sighting-in my scope the day after the next
rain. I also have nothing against eating meat. I also have nothing against
shooting back if someone is shooting at me. I don't care if it was "an
accident." I'll just say I thought they were a rat.
boden
2005-12-04 18:01:46 UTC
Sadly it does go on. Mostly fellas from the big city who buy a gun, get
a permit and are hunters. Last year we had two deer hunters so well
trained that they jumped from tree stands with loaded and chambered
weapons. In separate events both killed themselves. One was young
enough that the gene pool was probably improved.

a***@unlisted.com
2005-12-06 14:16:05 UTC
Post by boden
Sadly it does go on. Mostly fellas from the big city who buy a gun, get
a permit and are hunters. Last year we had two deer hunters so well
trained that they jumped from tree stands with loaded and chambered
weapons. In separate events both killed themselves. One was young
enough that the gene pool was probably improved.
Some people are just plain idiots. Thats why I worry about things
around here. Last year I heard someone had a cow killed and a woman
that I know had her horse killed. Either these people are so damn
stupid they cant tell the difference or they are just assholes. THOSE
are the ones that worry me.

On Sanday I had a neighbor and a bunch of his friends ask if they
could hunt my lower woods. I was actually happy they came, because to
me that makes me feel safer knowing that responsible hunters were
there, which would help keep the idiots away. I just asked the be
careful not to fire toward my animals, and gave them a quick tour of
where I have them. They were very courteous.

I just heard that on Saturday some out of state guy got lost somewhere
in this area. He was near a creek which has an island of sorts and
marshy area. It got pretty serious, because the guy was alone, old,
and not in the best of health. They had to bring in EMT helicopters,
trained dogs, and of course law men. They finally found the guy
around 3am. He was near hypothermia, laying across a fallen tree. He
somehow lost his gun and whatever else he had with him. He's ok, but
spend hours in the hospital along with one ot the rescuers that fell
thru thin ice while looking for the guy. I realize accidents happen,
but someone ib hsi condition, in a strange area, should not be out
alone. Just a real stupid thing to do. The last I heard the sheriffs
are worried about the gun being out there and are trying to find it,
becase the guy was pretty shocky and could not remember if it was
loaded.

I'm not a hunter, but hearing things like this just clearly says som
of these guys should either stay home, or learn how to hunt before
they do it. Then too, I think there is far too much drinking while
hunting. Last year I found about 30 empty beer cans on the edge of
the neighbors corn field where the hunters had parked. I got nothing
against drinking, but they are handling a weapon, AND driving while
drinking. They could wait till they are done hunting and have a
meeting place to drink.
enigma
2005-12-06 15:17:17 UTC
On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 13:01:46 -0500, boden
Post by boden
Sadly it does go on. Mostly fellas from the big city who
buy a gun, get a permit and are hunters. Last year we had
two deer hunters so well trained that they jumped from tree
stands with loaded and chambered weapons. In separate
events both killed themselves. One was young enough that
the gene pool was probably improved.
Some people are just plain idiots. Thats why I worry about
things around here. Last year I heard someone had a cow
killed and a woman that I know had her horse killed. Either
these people are so damn stupid they cant tell the
difference or they are just assholes. THOSE are the ones
that worry me.
i think there should be a flashcard test for getting a
hunting license... i have personally seen: a brown pony tied
to a camper heading down the highway, a goat with collar &
bell still on brought into a deer station, & a Holstein cow
within 2 weeks of calving being pulled out of a river where
she fell after being shot by a hunter (i was helping look for
her, as the farmer wanted to bring her to the barn for
calving). my neighbor up the road had his *cocker spaniel*
tied out in the front yard shot by a hunter, who then
proceeded to argue with my neighbor about "stealing his deer"
when he went out to see what the noise was. the dog survived.
it was shot in the leg.
I'm not a hunter, but hearing things like this just clearly
says some of these guys should either stay home, or learn
how to hunt before they do it. Then too, I think there is
far too much drinking while hunting. Last year I found
about 30 empty beer cans on the edge of the neighbors corn
field where the hunters had parked. I got nothing against
drinking, but they are handling a weapon, AND driving while
drinking. They could wait till they are done hunting and
have a meeting place to drink.
Vermont is, AFIK, the only state that makes drinking &
hunting illegal. alcohol & guns just don't mix. bad idea all
around.
i do post my property, but i'll allow hunting if they check
in at the house first & prove they can tell a llama or goat
from a deer. i do worry a bit about Perl being taken for a
deer:
she looks way more like a deer than a cow or cocker spaniel
does :p
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
1984-George Orwell
Dad
2005-12-06 17:02:07 UTC
Post by boden
[...]
Pure bullshit, unless something has changed cows don't calve in the
winter.

http://www.tarogue.net/~tom/livestock/llama-female-perl.jpg
1984-George Orwell
Steve IA
2005-12-06 17:39:12 UTC
Post by Dad
Pure bullshit, unless something has changed cows don't calve in the
winter.
Cows calve about 281 days after insemination. Seasons have nothing to do
with it.

Peace,

Steve
41N
Dad
2005-12-06 17:50:53 UTC
Post by Steve IA
Post by Dad
Pure bullshit, unless something has changed cows don't calve in the
winter.
Cows calve about 281 days after insemination. Seasons have nothing
to do with it.
Peace,
Steve
41N
If you breed for a winter calf you deserve to be in the snow. Get back
to the way nature intended it to be done.

Over 100 Holsteins and none were dropped in the snow and they all
lived, imagine that.
Shiver
2005-12-06 18:07:29 UTC
Post by Dad
Over 100 Holsteins and none were dropped in the snow and they all
lived, imagine that.
So what's your point.

As others have clearly indicated calfs can be born in winter.

You said bullshit that's not true..... And your wrong.

Suck it up Daddy and get over it.
Dad
2005-12-06 18:39:30 UTC
Post by Shiver
Post by Dad
Over 100 Holsteins and none were dropped in the snow and they all
lived, imagine that.
So what's your point.
There is a natural time for a calf to be born.
Post by Shiver
As others have clearly indicated calfs can be born in winter.
Can be, but not in the natural scheme of things. "Calfs" should be
calves, just thought you would want to know.
Post by Shiver
You said bullshit that's not true..... And your wrong.
Should be "you're wrong" but that's ok for a most folk.
I have to admit that I was somewhat judging by the rest of the wild
claims that he had made that from my experience the winter calf was
also bullshit.
Post by Shiver
Suck it up Daddy and get over it.
If you force breed, yes, anytime is birth time, so I'm wrong. I always
get a kick out of the new way to make money. We've never used anything
but the good old fashion way. Same with friends in the Nebraska,
Kansas, Colorado area, all of his drop from the last of April to the
end of May. It's a small 7 section, 5th generation farm so they're not
into farming much. Mega farms will never replace the quality that has
been produced in the smaller farms run with pride. But it's a money
thing now isn't it?

Dad
Scout
2005-12-06 22:40:31 UTC
Post by Dad
Post by Shiver
Suck it up Daddy and get over it.
If you force breed, yes, anytime is birth time, so I'm wrong.
Ah, you can't breed if the cow isn't in season, and if she's in season she
WILL stand for the bull.

Care for a ladder so you can get out of that hole, or would you prefer to
continue digging yourself in deeper?
Farm1
2005-12-06 23:34:50 UTC
Post by Dad
Post by Steve IA
Post by Dad
Pure bullshit, unless something has changed cows don't calve in the
winter.
Cows calve about 281 days after insemination. Seasons have nothing
to do with it.
If you breed for a winter calf you deserve to be in the snow. Get back
to the way nature intended it to be done.
Nature?????? You really are an idiot.

If you know that cows CAN be mated to drop calves in the snow then you MUST
know that it is NOT a natural act for cows to confine their mating to only
one part fo the year for human convenience.
YOU chose when they were dropped, NOT nature.
Dad
2005-12-07 00:38:30 UTC
Post by Farm1
Post by Dad
Post by Steve IA
Post by Dad
Pure bullshit, unless something has changed cows don't calve in the
winter.
Cows calve about 281 days after insemination. Seasons have
nothing
to do with it.
If you breed for a winter calf you deserve to be in the snow. Get back
to the way nature intended it to be done.
Nature?????? You really are an idiot.
I guess I can handle that as a farmer I'm got used to your type of
arrogance.
Post by Farm1
If you know that cows CAN be mated to drop calves in the snow then you MUST
know that it is NOT a natural act for cows to confine their mating to only
one part fo the year for human convenience.
Wasn't for humans, it was for the survival of their offspring. It's
done for human convenience in your case.
Post by Farm1
Post by Dad
Over 100 Holsteins and none were dropped in the snow
YOU chose when they were dropped, NOT nature.
Sorry, but that's when they always came into heat. That's the way
nature is. You can force it with your insemination and protract their
growth and milk production with chemicals, real farmers chose not to.
Scout
2005-12-07 09:48:02 UTC
Post by Dad
Post by Farm1
Post by Dad
Post by Farm1
If you know that cows CAN be mated to drop calves in the snow then you MUST
know that it is NOT a natural act for cows to confine their mating to only
one part fo the year for human convenience.
Wasn't for humans, it was for the survival of their offspring. It's done
for human convenience in your case.
Yep, otherwise cattle would be having calves all around the year, not just
in the winter.

After all a cow comes into heat every 18-24 days and if there is a bull
around, in a "natural" environment, she WILL be breed.

Which means calves spring, summer, fall and WINTER.
enigma
2005-12-07 00:22:55 UTC
Post by Dad
Post by Steve IA
Post by Dad
Pure bullshit, unless something has changed cows don't
calve in the winter.
Cows calve about 281 days after insemination. Seasons have
nothing to do with it.
If you breed for a winter calf you deserve to be in the
snow. Get back to the way nature intended it to be done.
Over 100 Holsteins and none were dropped in the snow and
they all lived, imagine that.
it rarely snows in October here. this calf would have lived
just fine if his mother hadn't been shot.
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
1984-George Orwell
Shiver
2005-12-06 17:39:08 UTC
Post by Dad
Pure bullshit, unless something has changed cows don't calve in the
winter.
Tell that to the rancher sitting in the snow with his feet up against
the ass end of a cow pulling on a rope around a calf trying to be born
in below zero weather.
Farm1
2005-12-06 23:27:51 UTC
a Holstein cow
Post by Dad
Post by enigma
within 2 weeks of calving being pulled out of a river where
she fell after being shot by a hunter (i was helping look for
her, as the farmer wanted to bring her to the barn for
calving).
Pure bullshit, unless something has changed cows don't calve in the
winter.
I've seen some supremely ignorant and idiotic comments on newsgroups but
this one takes the prize for ignorance and idiocy.

We choose to have our calves drop their calves in mid winter. We do this so
that by the time Spring hits and the grass is lush the calves not only big
enough to be eager to eat it.
enigma
2005-12-07 00:20:53 UTC
Post by Dad
Post by enigma
i think there should be a flashcard test for getting a
hunting license... i have personally seen: a brown pony
tied to a camper heading down the highway, a goat with
collar & bell still on brought into a deer station, & a
Holstein cow within 2 weeks of calving being pulled out of
a river where she fell after being shot by a hunter (i was
helping look for her, as the farmer wanted to bring her to
the barn for calving).
Pure bullshit, unless something has changed cows don't
calve in the winter.
cows calve when you breed them to calve. you breed them to
calve 285 days beforehand. my major wasn't dairy, but it would
seem to me you would want cows freshening in both spring &
fall. my friends Scottish Highlands drop calves in February
sometimes. i don't think that's exactly ideal, but they run
the bull with the cows year round.
deer season here is in the fall, not the winter.
Sept. 15 - Dec. 15 Deer/archery
Oct. 15 - Oct. 23 Moose
Oct. 22 - Oct. 23 Youth deer-hunting weekend
Oct. 29 - Nov. 8 Deer/muzzleloader
Nov. 9 - Dec. 4 Deer/firearms

hmm, since this was in October i guess she was mistaken for a
moose. yeah, holsteins look even more like moose :p

i see you aren't disputing the pony & the goat...
lee
Dad
2005-12-07 00:42:37 UTC
Post by enigma
Post by Dad
Post by enigma
[...]
That one you are right on, my mistake.
Post by enigma
Sept. 15 - Dec. 15 Deer/archery
Oct. 15 - Oct. 23 Moose
Oct. 22 - Oct. 23 Youth deer-hunting weekend
Oct. 29 - Nov. 8 Deer/muzzleloader
Nov. 9 - Dec. 4 Deer/firearms
hmm, since this was in October i guess she was mistaken for a
moose. yeah, holsteins look even more like moose :p
i see you aren't disputing the pony & the goat...
lee
No need to, it was so far over the top it can't be believed by many,
maybe you and Farm1.
Gene
2005-12-04 15:04:52 UTC
Post by a***@unlisted.com
What I hate most about rural living is gun-deer hunting season.
I live in the country on a farm. I moved to the country about 10
years ago, after being in the city far too long. I love the country,
but I do not hunt. Never have, never will.I dont judge people for
hunting, but killing animals is not my idea of fun, and I can not
stand eating venison anyhow. So, if people want to hunt deer, fine,
as long as they stay off my property, which I have clearly posted.
For me, it's a very inconvenient time of year, because I have to move
all my livestock right up by the buildings, which many years costs me
quite a bit extra hay, since I can not let my animals graze. (This
year it dont matter because of the snow cover).
Do they or are they that skitterish?
Post by a***@unlisted.com
Yesterday deer season started. As soon as it got light in the morning
until dark, it sounded like World War Three, and lasted all day long.
I would expect to hear some shots every so often, but continuous
shooting just dont seem right. What the hell are they shooting at?
There are not that many deer out there, and even if there was, they
would have to be terrible shots if they would have to plug the deer
full of lead for an hour straight.
My curiosity would be the same, if I even believed one bit of this.
As with anyone who complains about hunting season, but says they're
not against the hunters is trying to hide their dislike with terrible
cover.
Post by a***@unlisted.com
Can someone familiar with hunting please explain. Are they just
shooting to waste shells or for fun? That's all I can figure.
Care to actually find out? Of course, not that this is really
happening.
Post by a***@unlisted.com
All I know, just like every year since I moved to the country, I'll be
very glad when deer season is over and things return to peace and
quiet. I feel like I am in a war zone, and dont like it at all. All
I do know, if I knew who these hunters were, and one of them ever told
me my cig smoking bothered them, I'd love to tell them just how much
their shooting bothers me. The first weekend is the worst, (this
weekend) so I spent the whole day indoors watching tv, since I dont
feel safe outdoors... Then I constantly worry about my livestock the
whole day, because several people have lost catle and horses around
here during deer season in past years. I am now doing chores during
the night, because that seems to be the only safe time to be outside,
and it's damn cold out there in the dark.
Not for one minute do I believe this account...
I sure hope this ends soon !!!
Dicky Doo
2005-12-04 15:06:40 UTC
Post by a***@unlisted.com
Yesterday deer season started. As soon as it got light in the morning
until dark, it sounded like World War Three, and lasted all day long.
I would expect to hear some shots every so often, but continuous
shooting just dont seem right. What the hell are they shooting at?
There are not that many deer out there, and even if there was, they
would have to be terrible shots if they would have to plug the deer
full of lead for an hour straight.
Living on a farm in downtown Oakland, California can be very noisy,
especially during deer and bear season. Use ear protection and to keep your
eyesight tip top, wear double thick protective lenswear.

Hope this helps.....
Dad
2005-12-04 15:38:03 UTC
What I hate most about rural living is gun-deer hunting season.
I live in the country on a farm. I moved to the country about 10
years ago, after being in the city far too long. I love the country,
but I do not hunt. Never have, never will.I dont judge people for
hunting,
Sure you do, why would you write this if it wasn't to judge?
Post by a***@unlisted.com
but killing animals is not my idea of fun, and I can not
stand eating venison anyhow. So, if people want to hunt deer, fine,
as long as they stay off my property, which I have clearly posted.
For me, it's a very inconvenient time of year, because I have to move
all my livestock right up by the buildings,
I thought you slept with your goat anyhow. What do you do with all your
cattle? Let them die of old age? Ever been to a slaughter house?
Post by a***@unlisted.com
which many years costs me
quite a bit extra hay, since I can not let my animals graze. (This
year it dont matter because of the snow cover).
Yesterday deer season started. As soon as it got light in the morning
until dark, it sounded like World War Three, and lasted all day long.
What does WWIII sound like? I think it will sound like - phhssssssttt and
God will put all the nuts in one basket.
Post by a***@unlisted.com
I would expect to hear some shots every so often, but continuous
shooting just dont seem right. What the hell are they shooting at?
Your cattle, but they're so far away it's hard to get the range.
Post by a***@unlisted.com
There are not that many deer out there, and even if there was, they
would have to be terrible shots if they would have to plug the deer
full of lead for an hour straight.
Can someone familiar with hunting please explain. Are they just
shooting to waste shells or for fun? That's all I can figure.
You thought of that all by yourself? Must have lost your tinfoil hat.
Post by a***@unlisted.com
All I know, just like every year since I moved to the country, I'll be
very glad when deer season is over and things return to peace and
quiet. I feel like I am in a war zone, and dont like it at all. All
I do know, if I knew who these hunters were, and one of them ever told
me my cig smoking bothered them, I'd love to tell them just how much
their shooting bothers me. The first weekend is the worst, (this
weekend) so I spent the whole day indoors watching tv, since I dont
feel safe outdoors...
Now talk about getting killed, a full day of TV should do it.
Post by a***@unlisted.com
Then I constantly worry about my livestock the
whole day, because several people have lost catle and horses around
here during deer season in past years. I am now doing chores during
the night, because that seems to be the only safe time to be outside,
and it's damn cold out there in the dark.
If I could afford it, I think I'd put a 20 foot concrete wall around
my entire farm....
That's called a city, move back there where the shooting is all year long
and you don't need a hunting license.
Post by a***@unlisted.com
I sure hope this ends soon !!!
Go take a walk in the woods early in the morning or late in the evening.
That should end it for you.
a***@unlisted.com
2005-12-04 16:48:13 UTC
PLONK
Dad
Thanks
Flyingmonk
2005-12-04 18:07:50 UTC
You gotta admit, Dad's got a point you know.
Peter Huebner
2005-12-05 02:33:59 UTC
Post by Flyingmonk
You gotta admit, Dad's got a point you know.
Yupp, right on top of his head.

-P.
Dad
2005-12-05 03:04:08 UTC
Post by Peter Huebner
Post by Flyingmonk
You gotta admit, Dad's got a point you know.
Yupp, right on top of his head.
-P.
That beats not having a head, don't it Pete?

We have many of the "big city hunters" out this way and I never have heard
more than 3 shots in an hour. Yes. there are also deer here and I've watched
the same ol codger with about a 20 point rack now for 4 years. Even living
in his stomping grounds I've not been able to get a shot at him. He lays his
head back and walks the creek and you don't see him until he jumps the road.
If you sit by the road he never comes through. We can only use BP, hand
guns, bow and arrows, and shot gun and you can see for miles. Makes for some
pretty hard long distant shots with equipment like that. Still I hear very
few multi string shot episodes.

Opening day I would guess I heard 20/25 shots, with 12 deer showing up at
the check point at noon. Mine was a small six point that went down in one
shot about 25 foot from where he was hit (45-70 BFR).
--
Dad

One more gun is just enough, maybe.
Larry Caldwell
2005-12-05 20:33:03 UTC
We can only use BP, hand guns, bow and arrows, and shot gun and you > can see for miles. Makes for some pretty hard long distant shots with
equipment like that.
Try a Kentucky long rifle loaded with a bullet instead of a ball. The
smaller bore and the long barrel gave some respectable velocities with
black powder. It was just about perfect for deer hunting, which is why
it was so popular with the pioneers. It will surely shoot better than
a shotgun, and offer 3x the effective range, or better.
Dad
2005-12-05 21:37:28 UTC
Post by Larry Caldwell
Try a Kentucky long rifle loaded with a bullet instead of a ball.
The
smaller bore and the long barrel gave some respectable velocities with
black powder. It was just about perfect for deer hunting, which is why
it was so popular with the pioneers. It will surely shoot better than
a shotgun, and offer 3x the effective range, or better.
Don't have any black powder and don't want any, not my thing. Thanks
for the heads up but I gave the Thompson Hawkins to my son 19 years
ago. Used a 16" Contender in 45-70 until I got the 10" BFR, both will
still do the job. Also said the open space makes the shot hard, not
impossible. That makes for more practice and I love to shoot.

Sandy
2005-12-05 17:40:52 UTC
orange livestock marker

http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/productr.asp?pf_id=86175&RefCode=Froogle&URLCheck=1
PLONK
Dad
You can run but you can't hid from your stupidity.
Offbreed
2005-12-04 15:41:45 UTC
Post by a***@unlisted.com
What I hate most about rural living is gun-deer hunting season.
I live in the country on a farm. I moved to the country about 10
years ago, after being in the city far too long.
Finns regard using silencers on their firearms as being simply good
manners.

<G> Do you plan to start a citizens initiative to make hunting with
silencers legal?

(Google, google, google) Oh, yes. I thought I'd seen you around before.
You are just another worm tongued gun grabber.

City and country life are what they are because of the attitudes of the
people who have lived there a long time. If you want to bring city
attitudes to the country, then you want to turn country life into what
you left in the city.

It's sort of like moving away from a hog farm, so you can raise pigs
away from the stink.
Larry Caldwell
2005-12-04 18:38:40 UTC
Post by a***@unlisted.com
Yesterday deer season started.
Where do you live that deer season opens in December?
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
JonquilJan
2005-12-04 20:27:34 UTC
Amazing.

I live in a rural area - deer season started a few weeks ago (maybe a week
ago). Haven't heard a shot yet. And there are plenty of deer around -
lots. See them all the time in the fields around my home. They like the
alfalfa and there is also a stream at the back of my property - and woods
for cover. Ideal deer territory. Some of the land is posted - but not all
of it.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying
Scout
2005-12-04 21:40:32 UTC
Iowa. Shotgun season opens December 3rd.
Steve IA
2005-12-04 20:35:03 UTC
Post by a***@unlisted.com
[...]
Here's my post from 1 year ago today, based on the Iowa opening weekend
experience.

http://tinyurl.com/bwxrf

Steve
41N
Neon John
2005-12-04 23:43:52 UTC
Post by a***@unlisted.com
What I hate most about rural living is gun-deer hunting season.
I live in the country on a farm. I moved to the country about 10
years ago, after being in the city far too long. I love the country,
but I do not hunt. Never have, never will.I dont judge people for
hunting, but killing animals is not my idea of fun, and I can not
stand eating venison anyhow. So, if people want to hunt deer, fine,
as long as they stay off my property, which I have clearly posted.
For me, it's a very inconvenient time of year, because I have to move
all my livestock right up by the buildings, which many years costs me
quite a bit extra hay, since I can not let my animals graze. (This
year it dont matter because of the snow cover).
Have you ever actually lost an animal or is this just paranoia? I
don't know anyone around here who puts his animals up and no one I
know has ever lost one. I think you're acting on rumor and suspicion.
Post by a***@unlisted.com
Yesterday deer season started. As soon as it got light in the morning
until dark, it sounded like World War Three, and lasted all day long.
I would expect to hear some shots every so often, but continuous
shooting just dont seem right. What the hell are they shooting at?
There are not that many deer out there, and even if there was, they
would have to be terrible shots if they would have to plug the deer
full of lead for an hour straight.
Ah, you must be in Pennsylvania :-) I'm not a hunter per se, but I do
occasionally go out with friends just to enjoy the outdoors
experience. Around here, it's rare to fire more than once, as the
ranges are short and we know how to shoot :-)

I went one time and one time only with a friend when I lived in PA.
When we arrived at the spot, they literally had a traffic cop
directing the parking. Bad feeling. We hiked to where my friend had
spotted signs. When H-hour arrived, it immediately sounded like a
fire fight. If I'd gone to Vietnam, I'd have had flashbacks. I
didn't get worried until we heard bullets sailing through the limbs
overhead.

I found a knoll on a freshly plowed field and quickly scraped out a
foxhole. I spent the morning there watching dozens of doe walk across
the end of the field. Eventually a skinny little buck followed. I'd
have been surprised if he weighed 100 lbs. Certainly not worth a shot
from me. He walked into the woods on the other side of the field and
the firefight started again. Dozens of shots. Then he came running
back out :-)

That was a very strange experience :-)
Post by a***@unlisted.com
[...]
Sounds like really bad paranoia to me. You do realize that if bullets
are really flying, it doesn't do you a lot of good to stay indoors, as
a deer rifle bullet will easily penetrate non-masonry walls. Perhaps
you could take the same attitude I do. I enjoy hearing shots in the
woods because I realize that a) people are having good clean fun and
b) maybe some of the vermin deer are being killed off.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Harman
2005-12-05 00:45:10 UTC
A ton of shots is not uncommon in game heavy aeras. A few points, as
distance increases bullets drop making longer shots harder, deer tend
to not liking death so they run, its hard to shoot things running, some
people cant shoot for nothing. All of this together mean many shots.
If people are trespasing, have them arrested.
The real problem is how to qualify who has any busisness hunting and
who should not.
Most of us hunting gun owner types dont trust the vast left wing
oppressors whop want to take our guns, make us vegans, and close our
churches.....
Not true, but we do fear the government telling us what we can and cant
do in terms of our present rights......
If the political climate changes what guarantee do we have that they
will not place a huge fee or tax or something else to efectivly end
hunting and take our guns.
Blackberry

I sure hope this ends soon !!!
Peter Huebner
2005-12-05 02:46:21 UTC
Subject: Re: What I hate most about rural living
Newsgroups: misc.rural, alt.guns
I would try to put Heavy Insurance on the Cows then tape deer antlers on
them :-)
Just a Idea
You've obviously never tried insuring livestock. Man, those premiums ...
I tried to insure a $5000 Angora breeding buck once, belive me, I walked out of
the insurance office clutching the chequebook to my chest. i.i.r.c. it was
around 20-25% p.a.

-P.
Dave Hinz
2005-12-05 03:54:06 UTC
Post by a***@unlisted.com
What I hate most about rural living is gun-deer hunting season.
So, go away for the week, move back to town, or just shutup about it.
Post by a***@unlisted.com
I would expect to hear some shots every so often, but continuous
shooting just dont seem right. What the hell are they shooting at?
I sighted in my rifles during the season. Maybe it's me you heard.
Post by a***@unlisted.com
Can someone familiar with hunting please explain. Are they just
shooting to waste shells or for fun? That's all I can figure.
Based on your tone, there's no sense in trying to explain. Move back to
the city, you and we will be more happy. Buh-bye.
Falky foo
2005-12-05 15:37:25 UTC
Looks like you rubbed some bambi butchers the wrong way!

Anyway, I've been thinking of moving to the country at some point in my
life, and based on your post I'll remember to buy a place that isn't next to
any hunting areas!

Thanks!
Offbreed
2005-12-05 14:59:25 UTC
Post by Falky foo
Looks like you rubbed some bambi butchers the wrong way!
Anyway, I've been thinking of moving to the country at some point in my
life, and based on your post I'll remember to buy a place that isn't next to
any hunting areas!
Please, do.

I understand Cuba is a real nice place for your sort. Free medical care,
low crime rate, nice climate, etc.
Janet Baraclough
2005-12-05 16:39:13 UTC
Post by Falky foo
Looks like you rubbed some bambi butchers the wrong way!
Anyway, I've been thinking of moving to the country at some point in my
life, and based on your post I'll remember to buy a place that isn't next to
any hunting areas!
I can help.
I'm bringing out a new range of countryside which will be for sale
next spring (on warm dry days only). It's specially developed for the
needs of people moving frm the city. There will be no flies, defecating
or mating mammals, or crowing cockerels. Shop till you drop at the vast
underground shopping malls, accessed from an elevator in the master
bedroom; this will also ensure that postal services arrive to your
bedside each morning at dawn. A supply of ash-free wood-fragranced
fireplace material will be delivered daily, along with whichever
rent-a-dog you chose for that day. Obviously, the affectionate well
behaved dog of the day will be removed timeously before it needs
feeding, excercise or bowel relief.

Every other property will be occupied by specially trained personnel
called "neighbours"..these apple cheeked aproned grannies are modelled
on Martha Stewart and can cook whatever downhome country meals you
request, while her helpful assistant takes care of any outdoor issues
like septic tanks. or snow on the road. ( Younger versions are available
on special request). We absolutely guarantee, you will never have to
deasl with guns, bums, mud, blood, leaves, thieves, drunks, skunks,
flood, crud, breakdowns, shakedowns, or any other rural event.

Janet
Sheldon Harper
2005-12-05 17:11:44 UTC
Janet Baraclough <***@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in news:***@zetnet.co.uk:

Most excellent!

A page out of _The Prisoner_ TV series. The idyllic life in
THE VILLAGE. Who is Number 1?
Janet
Farm1
2005-12-06 01:52:31 UTC
Post by Sheldon Harper
Most excellent!
A page out of _The Prisoner_ TV series.
Is that the old Patrick McGoohan classic by that same name or it it some
newer show?

The Patrick McGoohan "The Prisoner" series was excellent but I enjoyed
"Survivors" far more from that time frame - wish I could see that series
again. And the original series called "Survivors" came long before all that
Y2K hype too. The opening shots of the Scientist dropping the vial that
starts the world wide pandemic stays with me to this day. Must do a google
to find out when they were made - must be early '70s IIRC.

The idyllic life in
THE VILLAGE. Who is Number 1?
Steve IA
2005-12-06 11:34:09 UTC
Post by Farm1
Post by Sheldon Harper
Most excellent!
A page out of _The Prisoner_ TV series.
Is that the old Patrick McGoohan classic by that same name or it it some
newer show?
The Patrick McGoohan "The Prisoner" series was excellent but I enjoyed
"Survivors" far more from that time frame - wish I could see that series
again. And the original series called "Survivors" came long before all that
Y2K hype too. The opening shots of the Scientist dropping the vial that
starts the world wide pandemic stays with me to this day. Must do a google
to find out when they were made - must be early '70s IIRC.
The idyllic life in
Post by Sheldon Harper
THE VILLAGE. Who is Number 1?
I remember really enjoying /The Prisoner/ when it originally aired.
Within the last few months one of the satellite channels was showing a
/Prisoner/ marathon, episodes back to back to back. I watched a couple
of shows but got bored. Just not the same as I remembered. As are most
things.
--
Steve
southiowa

weltschmerz
Pronunciation: 'velt-"shmerts
Function: noun

: mental depression or apathy caused by comparison of the actual state
of the world with an ideal state
Sheldon Harper
2005-12-06 16:56:10 UTC
Steve IA <***@now.net> wrote in news:dn3sve$b8n$1
@news.netins.net:

snip
Post by Steve IA
I remember really enjoying /The Prisoner/ when it originally aired.
Within the last few months one of the satellite channels was showing a
/Prisoner/ marathon, episodes back to back to back. I watched a couple
of shows but got bored. Just not the same as I remembered. As are most
things.
As I mentioned just a few minutes ago, I taped the entire series when
they had a marathon because I missed some episodes in the original
showing.

When I mentioned that to a friend of mine he said all he's interested
in is seeing the first and the last episodes for much the same reason
as you give.

But then, does the story ever *really* end? LOL

Though I taped them I've never really sat down to watch them straight
through. I've been saving that for a depressing rainy day when storm
clouds block the satellite signal. I might end up feeling the same way
you do about it, but for now I am looking forward to seeing the series
again.
Sheldon Harper
2005-12-06 16:47:40 UTC
Post by Farm1
Post by Sheldon Harper
Most excellent!
A page out of _The Prisoner_ TV series.
Is that the old Patrick McGoohan classic by that same name or it it some
newer show?
That's the one all right. A few years back I taped the whole series
because I missed some of the episodes and I really did enjoy them.
Post by Farm1
The Patrick McGoohan "The Prisoner" series was excellent but I enjoyed
"Survivors" far more from that time frame - wish I could see that series
again. And the original series called "Survivors" came long before all
that Y2K hype too. The opening shots of the Scientist dropping the vial
that starts the world wide pandemic stays with me to this day. Must do
a google to find out when they were made - must be early '70s IIRC.
I missed that but will watch for it.
Post by Farm1
The idyllic life in
THE VILLAGE. Who is Number 1?
Janet Baraclough
2005-12-06 20:02:26 UTC
Post by Farm1
Post by Sheldon Harper
Most excellent!
A page out of _The Prisoner_ TV series.
Is that the old Patrick McGoohan classic by that same name or it it some
newer show?
The Patrick McGoohan "The Prisoner" series was excellent but I enjoyed
"Survivors" far more from that time frame - wish I could see that series
again.
I never saw "The Prisoner". I think I must have been in my
earth-mother phase :-)
The Survivors was brilliant, it's never been repeated on UK
terrestrial either, and I can't think why.

(dissolves into liquid pool at memory of the young Robert Powell as Toby)

Janet
Farm1
2005-12-06 23:42:38 UTC
Post by Janet Baraclough
The Survivors was brilliant, it's never been repeated on UK
terrestrial either, and I can't think why.
I did a google hunt on the show after posting yesterday. It's available in
the UK as a boxed set of the 3 series on DVD. I'm just getting a credit
card so I can use it when we go to Europe next year (if we can get there!)
so I might just try it out by ordering "Survivors".

Whilst on the subject of DVDs, Himself is a HUGE fan of "Coupling" and has
bought 2 series on DVD. Did you watch that series at all? If you didn't
then I can really recommend it as a present for yourself. One of the best
British comedies I think I've ever seen.
unknown
2005-12-06 18:41:12 UTC
Post by Falky foo
Looks like you rubbed some bambi butchers the wrong way!
Anyway, I've been thinking of moving to the country at some point in my
life, and based on your post I'll remember to buy a place that isn't next to
any hunting areas!
Living in a hunting area during hunting season isn't my biggest thrill,
either, but I'd *LOVE* to hear your opinion on "Bambi" after you've lived
in the country and tried to raise your own food for a few years.

I'm betting you'll have more than one Bambi Burger in your freezer by then.
:)
Falky foo
2005-12-07 00:51:06 UTC
Well if you eat 'em or make use of them fine, but if you just like killing
animals, well, you should probably be seeing a professional for that.
Offbreed
2005-12-07 02:10:32 UTC
Post by unknown
I'm betting you'll have more than one Bambi Burger in your freezer by then.
How many Bambi bits do you think he will have to pick out of his
radiator? (and windshield)
Stu
2005-12-05 19:46:56 UTC
Post by a***@unlisted.com
Can someone familiar with hunting please explain. Are they just
shooting to waste shells or for fun? That's all I can figure.
LOL. My guess is they are corporate types from the nearest city out
for a little "fun and relaxation". They invade the county in packs of
6-12 usually in a rented Winnebago. One of their friends has probably
bought or leased a large plot of property close by. They arrive at the
campsite with their brand new rifles still in the box and have no clue
as to how to sight in a rifle. They spend the better part of a day
getting the bullets to punch paper.

Be afraid...be very afraid.