Removing cat pee odor in soil
l***@invalid.com
2008-05-01 17:33:50 UTC
I have a shed that's intended for caged rabbits. Last summer I had a
barn cat with kittens and from past experience I know that if I leave
her outside (or in the barn), something will kill the kittens. I put
her in that rabbit shed with her kittens. (No, she did not harm the
rabbits). Later in summer I took her outside but kept the growing
kittens in that shed where they stayed all winter. They did not always
use the litterbox since the floor dirt probably looks the same to
them. I put down some straw or bad hay to cover the floor and make
poop removal easy. But the urine soaked into the soil. I just
released those (now grown) kittens and cleaned up the floor. However
it stinks in there from cat urine. What can I put on the floor to
kill the odor? I dont mean pouring concrete.... I'm thinking about
barn lime, or baking soda, or something to pour on the soil? I may
pour concrete in the future, but maybe that would be a bad idea too,
since this shed will continue to be used in the same manner, and there
will be future kittens.
m***@rochester.rr.com
The smell will dissipate on its own. Just give it time.
Janet Baraclough
2008-05-01 20:15:34 UTC
The message
<d9ee9683-2a61-48a3-ae8b-***@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>
from ***@rochester.rr.com contains these words:

 What can I put on the floor to
Post by l***@invalid.com
kill the odor?
You can buy odour-killers from petshops or vet offices; used to get
smells out of peed-on carpets. In the UK there's a good brand called
Feliway which will also deter cats from peeing there again

Janet UK
y***@gmail.com
2019-12-13 03:11:13 UTC
Post by m***@rochester.rr.com
[...]
ARM and Hammer Baking Soda and their cat poop and pee remover.

AZ Nomad
bleach
Steve
2008-05-01 22:27:30 UTC
Post by AZ Nomad
Post by l***@invalid.com
[...]
Dig up six inches of smelly dirt. Spread it around on the field. Bring
in six inches of less smelly dirt.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
pipedown
2008-05-01 22:30:42 UTC
Post by l***@invalid.com
[...]
Activated carbon AKA Charcoal (not the BBQ stuff though, thats half real
coal). Either from a fish tank supply store (pet store) or the black soot
from incompletely burned logs in your fireplace. A quart sized carton for a
fish tank filter only cost a few bucks. Unfortunately, the mess may be more
of a problem than the smell. I suppose you could toss some kind of aromatic
mulch like cedar or pine straw. Any urine odor removing product will also
work.

If you do go with concrete, that will be fine, but you will need to seal it
with a water proofing chemical so the pee does not soak in allowing you to
mop or hose the barn out at will.
Leroy
2008-05-01 22:37:40 UTC
Go to a pet supply store and get a gallon of enzyme based 'pee odor
remover'. this stuff actually gets rid of the uric crystals. I've used it
in a rental property's carpet with great results. The urine was all the
way down into the carpet pad and it worked without removing or
lifting the carpet. good stuff. Seems like the brand was Nature's
Miracle or some such.

Leroy
Neon John
2008-05-02 00:16:42 UTC
Post by Leroy
Go to a pet supply store and get a gallon of enzyme based 'pee odor
remover'. this stuff actually gets rid of the uric crystals. I've used it
in a rental property's carpet with great results. The urine was all the
way down into the carpet pad and it worked without removing or
lifting the carpet. good stuff. Seems like the brand was Nature's
Miracle or some such.
I second that recommendation. My dear departed Bob
http://www.neon-john.com/Bob/bob_home.htm had some bladder control problems in
his last days so I had a considerable problem on my hands. The stuff the pet
store recommended really worked.

The important key is, the stuff has to actually contact the urine. On my
carpet, that meant that I had to saturate the spot all the way down to the
pad. In your case you'll probably want to dilute the stuff with enough water
to saturate the spot, perhaps loosening the soil a bit beforehand.

John
--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood. -Marie Curie
Red Green
2008-05-02 01:19:54 UTC
Post by Neon John
Post by Leroy
[...]
John:

Bob looks a lot like my Cheerio who I lost to lymphoma last June.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=jkexya&s=3

I cared for him as long as he would not be in any pain, eat and have a
reasonable quality of life. When he stopped eating and drinking for a 2
days, it was time to put him down. He gave us too much over the years to
be selfish of the inevitable. Had him privately creamated and he sits
here to my left in a sealed box.

You personally might enjoy this quote. It's a link and is not intended
to promote or spam.

https://shop.theanimalrescuesite.com/store/item.do?itemId=30222&siteId=310&origin=EPF_ARS_30222
Neon John
2008-05-02 03:17:10 UTC
Post by Red Green
Bob looks a lot like my Cheerio who I lost to lymphoma last June.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=jkexya&s=3
Wow, absent the tail, they'd be near dead-ringers. I'm curious. Was the
lymphoma vaccine-induced? I lost Frosty, a gorgeous Persian to that. A tumor
developed at the injection site and spread to his liver.

I've had a huge internal debate with myself over whether to vaccinate my two
new buddies for anything other than the critical rabies and leukemia. It
appears that the carcinogenic component of the multi-vacs is the agonist
chemicals added to make the vaccines themselves more effective. Since my kids
live kinda isolated and aren't around other animals, my somewhat firm decision
is not to vaccinate. I'm still agonizing over it, though.
Post by Red Green
I cared for him as long as he would not be in any pain, eat and have a
reasonable quality of life. When he stopped eating and drinking for a 2
days, it was time to put him down. He gave us too much over the years to
be selfish of the inevitable. Had him privately creamated and he sits
here to my left in a sealed box.
Bob's buried right behind my cabin and I plan to be here the rest of my life
so our buddies are similarly close. I considered cremation but the nearest
pet crematory was over 100 miles away. I'm just thankful that digital cameras
came along when they did so that I could have a few hundred Bob photos to
enjoy.

The last couple of weeks were sheer agony, for me more than Bob, trying to
decide when to put him down. I figured he'd let me know when the time was
right. Problem was, he'd have two or three good days and then a bad one. In
the end, thank God, that awful task was taken off my shoulders by the burst
ulcer.
Post by Red Green
You personally might enjoy this quote. It's a link and is not intended
to promote or spam.
Thanks, I like that.

The most amazing thing happened last summer. Bob had gotten his terminal
diagnosis so I knew my time with him was short. I was sitting in the general
store one day when the game and fish ranger came in, asking if anyone would
like some kittens. He told the story of someone dumping a pregnant cat off at
the trout hatchery that he supervises. When I heard the magic word "Manx", I
leapt at the opportunity.

He was trapping the kittens as they weaned. Fred was the second one. When I
looked in his cage, I almost fell down I was so stunned. Sitting there was a
little kitten version of Bob. http://www.neon-john.com/Fred/Fred_home.htm The
only difference is that Fred's a "powder puff" (no tail) while Bob was a
stubbie. Almost identical personalities. Love at first sight and all that.

A week later the ranger came back and said that he had a 3rd kitten. I just
had to look. That was Jake http://www.neon-john.com/Jake/Jake_Home.htm. That
extra week made him wild as a coot! Took me a couple of weeks to get to pick
him up the first time. As an adult, his markings are almost identical to your
Cheerio.

Fred is developing a personality almost identical to Bob's. With a little
age, I think he'll get there. Jake.... Well, Jake's still a bit jumpy. He's
gotten friendlier but I think that he'll always be "just a cat".

The two of 'em together are a 24 hour a day riot. Of course, my cabin looks
like a bomb went off in it :-) They're inseparable. Right now they're
learning that a queen bumblebee, while a tasty snack, has quite a "bite" to it
:-) It's been an evening-long battle but I think the kids have finally won.

Here's hoping that you are as lucky as me and find a perfect replacement for
Cheerio.

John

To have doubted one’s own first principles is the mark of a civilized man -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
Red Green
2008-05-02 04:04:33 UTC
Post by Red Green
[...]
No it wasn't.

We all have our memories of them forever. That's what they give us. One
of his traits is he would back down from NOTHING.

Once a neighbor was coming down the sidewalk with an Akita and Cheerio
was sitting on the sidewalk. He saw the dog and just crouched as low as
he could go with ears back. The Akita walked around without the owner
even leading it.

Here he challenges another neighbors 160lb dane/shepard.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vmybza&s=3

Cheerio hissed and whacked at it.

And the winner is...
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=27zzr6x&s=3
Janet Baraclough
2008-05-02 14:12:35 UTC
Post by Neon John
I've had a huge internal debate with myself over whether to vaccinate my two
new buddies for anything other than the critical rabies and leukemia. It
appears that the carcinogenic component of the multi-vacs is the agonist
chemicals added to make the vaccines themselves more effective. Since my kids
live kinda isolated and aren't around other animals, my somewhat firm decision
is not to vaccinate. I'm still agonizing over it, though.
Our current cat has never been vaccinated, or ill, in her life.
She's at least 18 years old (time since when we got her as a fully-grown
stray) . She's a 24/7 free range cat with her own door and spends much
of her time outside. Close by, there is a colony of inbred feral cats
who live wild on the cliff above the harbour and are riddled with
disease. I know ours has been scratched and bitten badly by them in
fights but she still didn't catch anything from them. (We don't have
rabies here so that's not a concern). Our previous cat was never
vaccinated either, and lived to 17.

Janet.
Me
Get a big spoon. Eat the dirt.
e***@yahoo.com
2008-05-04 05:45:59 UTC
Post by l***@invalid.com
[...]
There is a product called odorxit concentrate on the web that I have
used for cat urine that works really well. just wet the area that is
pee soaked and in a few hours the odor will be gone.
n***@sketchgrowl.com
2019-12-01 07:25:05 UTC
Sorry for chiming in a bit late to the discussion, but I really feel like I need to add my 2 cents. Cats don't just pee on floors and beds because they're in pain - could be a multitude of other reasons! Most common is that male cats feel the need to mark their territory.

As for myself, I finally found something that works for the cat pee smell in my home!

What a relief to finally have gotten rid of the horrible cat pee smell, and without any expensive sprays at that.

Registered an account only to say this:

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked.

He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at. It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior. Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :smile:

To be honest, I don't know too much about it so I did a quick Google search and here's a review I found: https://nomorecatpee.com/index.htm

I'm based in Germany, by the way, so you should be able to get it too. Good luck!