Sodium Hydroxide and the Septic tank
l***@gmail.com
2017-06-14 16:57:03 UTC
The simple way to fix a clogged drain field is first to have the tank pumped. Then on the discharge side take about a 6 foot piece of 1 inch hose and insert it into the drain field line through the discharge side and leave enough to insert a large funnel. Take a five gallon bucket and put 3 inches of caustic soda in it and fill with water. I use a bucket with a lid and spout and fill it with a hose through the spout. Be very careful not to breath it or come in contact with it. Its acid pure and simple. It gets very hot. Then pour it into the drain line funnel slowly and let sit. I did this three times over 4 days before the 1000 gallon tank filled up. 5 loads of laundry, dishwasher, and many showers later it's working perfectly. Before it was plugged solid and over flowing
Ken Olson
2017-06-14 21:11:27 UTC
It's not an acid, it's a base. Otherwise, good job!
s***@gmail.com
2018-03-21 13:03:16 UTC
So if I just use a small amount to keep my household drains clean, that should be ok??
Neon John
2018-06-10 17:05:57 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
So if I just use a small amount to keep my household drains clean, that should be ok??
Yes.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address
m***@gmail.com
2018-06-09 04:08:50 UTC
Do you know if NaOH is detrimental to the "life" of a septic tank?
what effect will it have on the concrete itself
Ken Olson
2018-06-09 05:16:33 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Do you know if NaOH is detrimental to the "life" of a septic tank?
what effect will it have on the concrete itself
At the amount used to unplug drain clogs wouldn't it be rather dilute in
the tank?
--
"We're going to fight racism not with racism, but we're going to fight
with solidarity."

"A sword is never a killer. It is a tool in the killer's hand."
- Seneca
Stumpy
2020-09-23 16:36:28 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Do you know if NaOH is detrimental to the "life" of a septic tank?
what effect will it have on the concrete itself
I have a 3 chamber septic tank from 1932. It has much decomposition on
the lower surface of the concrete lids. This is presumably from hydrogen
sulfide gas trapped in the unvented tank. Adding a base periodically
might help my problem.

Keith Thompson
2020-09-22 16:49:44 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
The simple way to fix a clogged drain field is first to have the tank pumped. Then on the discharge side take about a 6 foot piece of 1 inch hose and insert it into the drain field line through the discharge side and leave enough to insert a large funnel. Take a five gallon bucket and put 3 inches of caustic soda in it and fill with water. I use a bucket with a lid and spout and fill it with a hose through the spout. Be very careful not to breath it or come in contact with it. Its acid pure and simple. It gets very hot. Then pour it into the drain line funnel slowly and let sit. I did this three times over 4 days before the 1000 gallon tank filled up. 5 loads of laundry, dishwasher, and many showers later it's working perfectly. Before it was plugged solid and over flowing
About how much caustic soda do I need per 5 gallon bucket? If I did four buckets, 8 lbs? Thank You