Bluegrass legend Earl Scruggs dies at 88 in Tenn.
little turtle
2012-03-30 03:47:56 UTC
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/17280495/bluegrass-legend-earl-scruggs-dies-at-age-88
Guv Bob
2012-03-30 07:11:13 UTC
Post by little turtle
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/17280495/bluegrass-legend-earl-scruggs-dies-at-age-88
What a great man. May he rest in peace.

http://blog.al.com/wire/2012/03/bluegrass_banjo_legend_earl_sc.html

"Scruggs, born Jan. 6, 1924, in Flint Hill [Shelby], N.C., learned to play banjo at age 4. He appeared at age 11 on a radio talent scout show. By age 15, he was playing in bluegrass bands. "My music came up from the soil of North Carolina," Scruggs said in 1996 when he was honored with a heritage award from his home state. He and Lester Flatt played together in Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys, then left to form the Foggy Mountain Boys in 1948."
Guv Bob
2012-03-30 18:58:02 UTC
Post by little turtle
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/17280495/bluegrass-legend-earl-scruggs-dies-at-age-88
Article says he was born in Flint Hill. Searching USGS came up with this one near Shelby:

Flint Hill 1020288 Summit Cleveland NC 351307N 0814055W 892 ft elevation

http://classic.mapquest.com/maps?city=Shelby&state=NC&zipcode=28152&country=US&latitude=35.218612&longitude=-81.681936&geocode=LATLNG
Country
2012-03-30 23:36:06 UTC
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/17280495/bluegrass-legend-earl-scr...
A top notch Bluegrass Icon there. Took a fine genre of music and
kicked it up a notch.

RIP, Earl.

-C-
Bill Rose
2012-04-03 05:14:59 UTC
Post by little turtle
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/17280495/bluegrass-legend-earl-scruggs-dies
-at-age-88
He brought a lot of joy.

--
E Pluribus Unum

Know where your money is tonight?
It's making the lives of Wall Street Bankers more comfortable.

The GOP is chasing us towards a cliff called "Obama."
Vote 3rd Party
Guv Blob
2012-04-04 02:03:09 UTC
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/17280495/bluegrass-legend-earl-scr...
When I was a teenager, my brother played 45's of Lester Flatt and Earl
Scruggs on an old phonograph we had at home. I remember the lyrics to
most of those great old songs.

A few years ago I got directions to a small rural airport by car, and
one of the nearby roads was Scruggs Road. The locals told me the road
was named after Earl, and that that is the vicinity where he grew up,
just south of Rutherfordton near the South Carolina line.

Guv Bob
2012-04-05 07:46:30 UTC
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/17280495/bluegrass-legend-earl-scr...
When I was a teenager, my brother played 45's of Lester Flatt and Earl
Scruggs on an old phonograph we had at home. I remember the lyrics to
most of those great old songs.

A few years ago I got directions to a small rural airport by car, and
one of the nearby roads was Scruggs Road. The locals told me the road
was named after Earl, and that that is the vicinity where he grew up,
just south of Rutherfordton near the South Carolina line.

http://youtu.be/qwColEM6m_c

I believe all the Scruggs' came from Robert Scruggs who migrated from England in 1655.
http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/cowp/cowp1.pdf
Guv Bob

Guv Bob
2012-04-05 07:57:05 UTC
Flint Hill Special.
Scruggs was born at Flint Hill in Cleveland County NC.

This banjer player is mighty fine, mighty fine.

"Flint Hill Special"
by Earl Scruggs

Tis sweet to be remembered on a bright or gloomy day
Tis sweet to be remembered by a dear one far away
Tis sweet to be remembered remembered remembered
Tis sweet to be remembered when you are far away

As I travel on this world just to soothe my rovin' mind
The messages I get from a dear one left behind
They were filled with sweetest words that's so touchely when I heard
Never ever can I forget these are some things that she said
Tis sweet to be remembered